Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Fun/Games Challenge Cup 2020

Crying out loud

Couldn't of come any bloody closer 🙃

Nah fair play @Cockers2505

Knew my score could be beaten and you did it!

I was sitting pretty top of the league till mid Jan and then my tactic decided it didn't want to work at all! Horrible run of form. 

3 minutes ago, Cockers2505 said:

Wow what can I say, honestly I thought I would never get through, I can say thanks to @Jsavfc for buying a top striker giving him -12 already, the rest, well oh my a really unexpected outcome

Thanks @samhardy and well done @Ian

@Jsavfc unlucky mate and well played

@Woody also unlucky mate 

@Ian Vs Ian (Cockers) final, come on!!

I thought my league finish would counter the minus points, I couldn't find anyone I trusted within the 15m budget and 5 defenders to the same amount. 

1 hour ago, Woody said:

Congrats @Ian those injuries really hit me hard but it might not of been enough anyway.

Well done @Cockers2505 

Thank you Woody, you were definitely unlucky with those injuries.

I wasn’t sure how to go but Davie made my decision as I wanted to use him and once he was a available for the £15m I went that way. I was slightly tempted to over pay to allow for a bigger budget for the defence which just shows the uniqueness of the challenge. I did concede a lot more than I’d have liked so thought that decision may have costed me.

I enjoyed the challenge anyway and the whole decision making process plus I quite like a few of the Watford midfielders on the game.

Commiserations @Jsavfc on losing in such tight circumstances.

Well done @Cockers2505 and good luck in the final which will be the battle of the Ian’s 😂

21 minutes ago, Ian said:

Thank you Woody, you were definitely unlucky with those injuries.

I wasn’t sure how to go but Davie made my decision as I wanted to use him and once he was a available for the £15m I went that way. I was slightly tempted to over pay to allow for a bigger budget for the defence which just shows the uniqueness of the challenge. I did concede a lot more than I’d have liked so thought that decision may have costed me.

I enjoyed the challenge anyway and the whole decision making process plus I quite like a few of the Watford midfielders on the game.

Commiserations @Jsavfc on losing in such tight circumstances.

Well done @Cockers2505 and good luck in the final which will be the battle of the Ian’s 😂

I decidedto buy my defense 1st so i knew what budget id have for my striker. I had 2 of my defenders on long term injuries too. One was missing for 5 months!!

10 minutes ago, Woody said:

I decidedto buy my defense 1st so i knew what budget id have for my striker. I had 2 of my defenders on long term injuries too. One was missing for 5 months!!

That was my route, sort the back 5 then saw what my total was. 

I went the other way, get the goalie to know what wage structure I have for the defence, then buy a striker for £15mil, this then sets the budget for my defence. My downfall was not scoring enough, he was good on paper, but shit in front of goal 

Look forward to playing against @Ian a honour to go against a worthy opponent, good luck my friend

1235220226_photo17-02-2020174807.thumb.jpg.6bfbf23cdc8ecfe6f6be4ceb7bc315c8.jpg 

Last week saw two immense semi’s and in the case of @Jsavfc v @Cockers2505 it has to go down in history as one of the most dramatic Semi’s ever witnessed on Vibe. A semi is just a means to an end though and this week is all about the climax as @Ian and @Cockers2505 cross swords for the title.

Ian came into this years CC as overwhelming favourite for the title so just getting to the final is the bare minimum the fans would have expected. That said he hasn’t been in the best of form so far in dispatching @Mr Tree or @Woody and many have suggested he is shithousing his way to the title. That won’t bother the Seahouses Seahorse one bit though as all that matters is whether he lifts that trophy in a weeks time.

@Cockers2505 came into this event as a 75/1 outsider but anyone who backed him at that price will be delighted in the investment they made as he has stormed into the final. In the quarters he took on and beat the pre tournament 2nd favourite @smoggy90 with a scintillating display before he just narrowly edged out Villa by one point to book his date with destiny.

The bookies still make Ian the favourite but they are certainly not taking Cockers lightly and have priced him accordingly.

To Win

Ian - 4/7

Cockers - 5/4

Specials 

An Ian to win the event - Betting suspended due to suspicious betting patterns.

Ian to “shithouse” another win - 5/2*

*In the event that an Ian wins it will be at FoxBet’s discretion whether it is considered a “shithouse” win. Do not expect a pay out.

Just noticed I didn't respond to that incredible semi final! One point! One! ONE! Wow! 

I don't recall any others being that close, but damn that was a thrilling read! 

I love the part the "unbonus points" played as it was a risky idea but I think it has legs, offering risk verse reward is always good in this type of cup. Unfortunately though we didn't see a risk taker progress which hopefully we'll see if this style repeats in the future. 

Anyway well done to the finalists and better luck next time to those that dropped out. 

5 hours ago, samhardy said:

@Ian @Cockers2505

@Foxy will be posting the final challenge tomorrow morning. There won’t be a deadline as there’s no need for one unless one of you is taking too long and I will reveal the results as soon as they are both in.

Good luck!

Yes that's fine @samhardy thanks mate, I'm sure we won't take too long 🤔

final.png.97d62e554f2bddf24d875bd1b6a54ac9.png 

So that @samhardy can have a few hours more in bed it falls to me to post the final challenge.

The final see’s a battle of the Ian’s as @Ian takes on Ian @Cockers2505 as they bid not only to be the definitive Ian but also to win the coveted Challenge Cup title.

I enjoy looking through the FMM DB for players from the more obscure nations of the world and this challenge will feature two of my recent finds who also happen to be brothers as well.

Ladies and gentlemen I introduce to you the Nicklaw brothers from Guam.

image.jpeg.ff4f4ffbdd48165bb84553d0d7e90a4f.jpeg

On the left is Shawn Nicklaw and on the right is Travis.

Guam is a tiny island of around 180,000 people off the east coast of the Philippines and comes under the protection of the USA as one of it overseas territories. Football isn’t a major sport on the island and the 2018 World Cup was the first time they tried to qualify. Although they didn’t get far they did gain notable wins over both Turkmenistan and India in qualifying.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/jun/12/guam-soccer-dream-fifa-world-cup

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/jun/16/guam-beat-india-world-cup-qualifier

The two brothers are both based in the US and have yet to ever play in the MLS but you are both going to change that in this challenge.

The Challenge 

Here is both players attributes and you will notice that one is a striker and the other a defender.

Spoiler

image.png.5671bd3b4ea60f0feb1365904b5fd20d.pngimage.png.9aab3630f3039360326592ad3250662a.png

You will buy both players for the MLS team of your choice and they will play up front for half the league season with goals scored by both counting towards your score and then they will play in defence as your only defenders with clean sheets counting towards your score.

It is up to you whether you play them upfront or in defence for the first half of the season and vice versa but they both must play together upfront and in defence at the same time.

This is regular league season games so they must play 17 games in defence and 17 games upfront. Cup and Playoff matches do not count.

The Ian Bonus

As this final is a battle of the Ian’s Sam and myself thought we should mark that in some way. You must buy a player with the first name Ian and his assists in all matches including cup games and playoffs will be added to your score.

Rules and Clarifications

• DB Setup - You will need to load the March database to get both Nicklaw's in the game. You may load any three nations you wish alongside the MLS.
  • Club Choice - You can manage any team in the MLS you wish.
  • Transfers - You must sign both Nicklaw brothers and a player with the first name Ian. They are your only allowed transfers into the club but you may sell whoever you want.
  • Nicklaw Brothers - They must play together upfront for 17 league games and in defence for 17 league games. These games must be played in succession but you can choose if they play in defence or attack for the first 17 league games.
  • Formation - When the Nicklaws play up front they must play and be the only players in the attacking strata (FR, FC, FL) and when they play in defence they must be the only two players in the defensive strata (FB or DC). The more advanced WB position does not count as a defender. Should one of them be injured or suspended then you must play the other Nicklaw on his own either at the back or up front.
  • Ian Assists -  He can play anywhere so long as you follow the above rules and he must be an Ian with that spelling so no derivatives of the name are allowed.
  • No cheating in any way.
  • Coaching badges and reputation are allowed.
  • Own formations only.
  • No unlockables.
  • Screenshots to be submitted to Sam in the PM you already have setup.

Remember that the Nicklaw brothers only score points in regular league games but your Ian can get assists in cup and playoff games as well as in the league.

Nicklaw goals from the 17 league games up front + 3pts per Nicklaw Clean sheets from the 17 league games at the back + Ian assists in all competitions + League points = total score.

Screenshots 

If it’s easier you can submit your screenshots after 17 league games and then the rest at the end of the season once you are finished.

• Nicklaw brothers and Ian player profiles at start and end of the season.
  • Nicklaw brothers history after 17 league games and then after 34 league games. Remember to specify where they played in each half of the season.
  • Formations used when Nicklaw’s are up front and when they are at the back. 
  • League table after 17 league games and then after 34 league games
  • Team league clean sheets page after 17 league games and then after 34 league games.
  • Ian history page at the end of the season.
  • Manager profile and history

Any questions then please ask and have fun.

MLS is a daunting prospect, I sit back in awe how you guys think of these Challenges, certainly not going to rush into it, brilliant! @samhardy & @Foxy

Seriously good luck @Ian I guess I'm honoured to be up against the favourite, hopefully I can give this a good shout and suprise everyone and myself as I have so far

Edited by Cockers2505

Challenge Cup 2020 - The Final Results

After a month of fierce competition we are down to our final two of Ian and Cockers. Ian made it this far by topping the qualifying round and followed it up with victories over @Mr Tree and @Woody whilst Cockers finished middle of the pack before defeating @gunnersaur and then @Jsavfc in a thriller.

Both have done fantastically well to get this far but there can only be one winner. For the final time this Challenge Cup let’s have a look at the results.

Team of Choice

Ian - New York City FC
Cockers - Atlanta United

Nothing to see here really as I don’t think there was any right or wrong choice of club.

Player of Choice

Ian - Ian Henderson
Cockers - Ian Carlos Poveda

This was slightly more interesting as Ian went for a player with better attributes in Henderson although he is more of a goalscorer than a creator. Cockers went for a slightly lesser player but one that is more of a natural assister.

League Points

Ian - 84
Cockers - 63

Ian takes the early advantage. He romped to the league only losing two games along the way whilst Cockers could only muster a 3rd place finish. The ideal start for the favourite but still plenty of time for Cockers to turn it around.

Nicklaw Points

Ian - 45
Cockers - 26

Maybe that time is running away now though as another comfortable victory for Ian from this particular section. Surprisingly they both couldn’t manage many goals between the brothers, Ian only managing a combined total of 15 with 14 for Cockers, but the clean sheets were the big difference here and Ian’s solid defensive record came up trumps again. He managed 10 clean sheets which far surpassed what his opponent could manage and Ian now has the title in the palm of his hands!

Ian Assists

Ian - 21

That gives Ian a total of 150 and with Cockers currently on 89 it would take an absolute miracle for him to overhaul this. 62 assists to be precise! It couldn’t happen could it?

No it couldn’t as that is far too many assists realistically to contemplate with what is a decent at best winger in the first season. He could only manage 13 which means.

Final Score: Ian 150-102 Cockers

🏆 🏆 🏆 Challenge Cup 2020 Champion - Ian 🏆 🏆 🏆 

A huge well done to @Ian who claims his second title of FMM20 on vibe and his 3rd overall. He may have rode his luck at times throughout but none of that matters as you still have to get over the line and in winning the title he has done that better than anybody else. Commiserations to @Cockers2505 who falls short in the final but nevertheless has still enjoyed a marvellous run to the final.

And finally thanks to everyone who has helped, read and participated in this event throughout, I hope you have enjoyed reading or playing it as much as I have hosting it.

image.png.abac0325d91c197e6217ff0c61a55bf8.png

Well done @Ian, you have been on a tear this year. Take a bow mate.

Commiserations to @Cockers2505 for making the final mate. You fought real hard and no shame in losing to a player of Ian's calibre.

And finally thanks to @samhardy and @Foxy for organizing another fantastic tournament.